A belief is only useful and beneficial if it connects you to inner guidance.
You will know this (whether it connects or not) by becoming aware of your inner feelings, sensations, energy shifts, and the symptoms of resistance.
The simple test: ask yourself how you feel when you think a thought. If you feel discomfort, tension, anger, pain, irritability, resentment, shame, guilt, sadness, worry, or fear, you have a belief that is stressful and not true. This is the Whisper’s way of letting you know that you are not listening. This is your way of letting you know you are not listening.
Your Essential Whisper, page 88
There are hundreds and hundreds of beliefs any one of us will have at any given time.
It is not necessary to look at every single belief you have. What is important is to notice your feelings of discomfort and stress. Only the beliefs you have that cause stress are the ones for you to take a look at. To easily recognize a belief you have, notice the “stories” you tell others or yourself. For example, if you tell others that you can’t afford to take a trip this year, then that is the belief that you have: I can’t afford to take a trip this year. All beliefs feel true to you, and you will have many, many reasons that support this belief, such as the limited amount of money in your checking account, or the expense of traveling, and so on.
You cannot use your ‘feelings of truth’ to help you know if the belief comes from the Whisper.
Remember the simple test stated above, and you will be on your way to unblocking beliefs that cause you stress and discomfort and begin listening to the Whisper. So the question, using the example above, to ask yourself is this: How does it feel inside to think the thought “I can’t afford to go on a trip this year?” If it feels uncomfortable, restricting, sad, and the other symptoms listed on pages 94-95 then know that the Whisper may just have the way for you to take that trip. If you have a desire to travel, go ahead and ask, “How can I take a trip this year?” and then wait for all the interactions your guidance will use to give you the answer. (Chapter 14)
Unwinding beliefs is an important part of living with greater inner peace.
On this page is a list of 100 of the most common beliefs that cause discomfort and stress and make it difficult to hear the loving voice of guidance.
More than 100 Common Stressful Beliefs
1. I have to be strong.
2. I don’t deserve love.
3. I’m not creative.
4. I’m wrong for being a boy.
5. I’m not appreciated.
6. I have nothing of value to offer.
7. I’m not good enough.
8. I don’t’ deserve to live.
9. I never have enough money.
10. I’m wrong for being a girl.
11. I don’t know what I am doing.
12. I can’t do anything right.
13. I have to be perfect.
14. I don’t deserve success.
15. I never have enough time.
16. I don’t know what I want.
17. I don’t’ deserve happiness.
18. I have to prove myself.
19. I’m not wanted.
20. I don’t’ know what to do.
21. I’m not ready yet.
22. Nobody cares about me.
23. God is punishing me.
24. Nobody listens to me.
25. I wasn’t wanted.
26. I owe my parents.
27. I should be able to do it all by myself.
28. People don’t like to see my emotions.
29. Men have all the breaks in life.
30. It is difficult to be successful no matter how intelligent I am.
31. I never have any luck.
32. It is safer not to confront anyone because then I can’t get hurt.
33. Everyone’s out to get me.
34. I always get taken advantage of.
35. I can never get ahead.
36. You have to work very hard to get ahead.
37. Life isn’t fair.
38. I need someone special to make me happy.
39. I am the only one who can get the job done.
40. I’ll never change.
41. I am better than everyone else.
42. Nothing is worth doing.
43. Nobody loves me.
44. Nobody takes care of me.
45. All women are insensitive.
46. All men are insensitive.
47. I’m not worthy of love.
48. I’m not worthy of health.
49. I’m not worthy of friends.
50. I’m not worthy of money.
51. I’m wrong for being a boy.
52. I’m wrong for not being a boy.
53. I’m wrong for not being a man.
54. I’m wrong for being a girl.
55. I’m wrong for not being a girl.
56. I’m wrong for not being a woman.
57. Even if I get or make money, I’ll just lose it.
58. Life is hostile.
59. I need pain in order to survive.
60. Somebody is trying to kill me.
61. Women hurt me.